Well, here's my final post! I know, you're probably sick of me so it's for the best :)
I'm just sitting in the Paris airport waiting for my next flight to the ATL...so ready to be back, even if it is for only 5 days. At least Gretchen and I survived the two weeks! No (major) injuries, illnesses, or (too) stressful moments involved!
Our feet are torn up and sore, our sunburn (literally just from yesterday) hurts a bit (the backpack doesn't help), and we're exhausted, but so worth it! There are only a few minor things we would have changed about our trip. If you're looking to do a backpacking trip, hit me up for some tips. :)
I have so much to reflect on about my time in Europe. I feel like a new person, but I think I'll feel the effects even more when i'm at home. When I think back on what we accomplished in the last two weeks, I feel so independent and competent! Traveling takes planning, energy, and a good attitude, and everything went so smoothly for us! (knock on wood, i'm not home yet). We met so many cool people at our hostels and out and about and learned so much about the places we went to. I feel like my understanding of the world around me has broadened so much. You can only learn so much in school from professors and textbooks, kids! There is no better way to learn than to experience (thanks, Hendy and Odyssey haha).
One thing I want to talk about is karma and the way one treats others. In Budapest I was reminded of the good that there is in the world- Gretchen and I looked sadly lost more on more than one occasion, and without even asking, someone would come up to us and ask us if we needed help. It's such a small gesture, but it can really make someone's day! I urge you to reach out to someone that looks lost, whether it's at your university or in your city, it only takes a couple minutes and it can mean the world. I know I will next time someone's looking for Mills or Ellis at Hendrix!
Another big thing is the idea of being in the moment (ULS people, the Time is Now is so huge. I know you've heard about it a million times, so, sorry :) ) Traveling is a perfect time to live in the moment and appreciate what's going on right in front of you, whether it be bad or good. Gretchen and I had multiple situations in which we got off at the wrong metro stop, etc and it turned out we found somewhere really cool and exciting! Appreciate everything that happens to you, and even the things that seem seriously bad at the time you will be able to laugh about later. Like how I got nailed by a bike going full speed in Amsterdam and proceeded to get cussed at by the girl who hit me. I had a massive bruise on my leg and it's just now going away...it was terrifying at the time but now I think it's hilarious. And lots of people talked to me by asking about it, which was cool. Lol. You can see it in the picture Gretchen tagged of me on Facebook from Amsterdam.
I can't continue enough to talk about the value of travel, so if you get the chance to, do it! Maybe you can't do the double major you wanted to, or have to take a Maymester class to finish, but study abroad. The worth is incredible! And I haven't even done my semester yet!
Speaking of that, I probably won't be writing until i'm abroad for my semester (next Spring) in (hopefully) Buenos Aires, Argentina! If you have any recommendations at all about that city in particular or South America in general, hit me up. (Amigos latinoamericanos- ya sé quienes son :P)
Well, I should probably go pee before my flight and also actually go to my gate... if you ever want to talk to me about my travels, your travels, hosteling, Europe, backpacks, flying, or ANYTHING travel related, I'd love it!
Final hugs!
-Anna
No comments:
Post a Comment