I have been so lazy with blog writing....sorry ya'll! But overall update: I am so so happy and staying busy with school, private classes, and just enjoying the city in general!
I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while; I've been here just about a month (crazy!) and I have been keeping a list of quirks I notice about Spain, Madrid specifically. So here we go.
1. Efficiency. This is a big one, and that is the best word I have to describe it (may not be exactly what I'm trying to say, but still). In my opinion, madrileños use their space and resources efficiently. For example, the rooms and apartments are smaller (but with everything you need). Dryers are essentially non-existent (everyone just hangs their clothes outside to dry, because the air is very dry here so it's done quickly!) Heating and A/C are not guaranteed. I have found myself simply opening my doors in my room to get some fresh air and sunlight, to save energy and electricity. That is just the kind of living people do! In addition, I do private classes for a few sets of siblings, and all of them share rooms! They just have a trundle bed.
2. Lines. This is something that was confusing at first to figure out. It is common for there to be a small seating area for places like banks, the post office, and it doesn't necessarily matter if you are standing physically in the same position as your number in line. When you walk in, you simply ask "quien es el último?" (who is the last one?). The group tells you, and you remember your position, and respond to the next person who asks the question. Then you can stand or sit wherever you like, regardless of being in the position of the line.
3. Dressing for the season vs dressing for the weather. I had read about this before, and its absolutely true. Spaniards do not dress for the temperature, they dress for the corresponding season/month. For example, I arrived mid September, and for the first couple of weeks, we had some fairly hot days. But because this was technically fall, people wore pants, scarves, and even leather jackets, EVEN IF IT WAS 80 DEGREES OUT. I would wear a dress, for example, and be sweating, and people would wear leather jackets and look completely comfortable. This freaks me out and I don't understand. Especially underground in the metro, where it's freaking hot, even if it's cold outside. People look at me like i'm crazy when i'm going to/from the gym in shorts, because they are dressing for 40 degree weather.
4. Finally, the bane of every American's existence: slow walkers. People here like to stroll. They're in no hurry; being late isn't a thing here, for more casual gatherings. I am attempting to go with the flow and just enjoy the world around me when this is happening, but if you know me, you know I like to walk fast, and I'm tall, so this can get quite frustrating. In addition, if you are walking towards a group, people don't move out of your way. I feel like i'm always the one to step to the side. It's interesting!
Overall, with all of these quirks, I think that the overall mindset has rubbed off on me a bit. For example, I am a huge planner. Here, I am trying to go through each day with an open mind and not plan too much. I find I am more relaxed not worrying about when/where I have to be somewhere! I think I am more mindful in general, as Spaniards enjoy sitting outside drinking a beer or coffee and enjoy the company of friends and family for several hours. I think part of this change for me is also the huge decrease in work I have compared to in college. I am much less stressed than I was in college, every day (it's practically nonexistent)!
Thanks for reading, and hopefully write soon!
-Anna
Good observations! I love how everything is smaller in Spain. Or rather, the U.S. just has things bigger than the rest of the world, in an unnecessary way. Cars, rooms, meals, etc.
ReplyDelete