Saturday, January 28, 2017

A Typical Week

It's been an extremely long time since i've written, but my friend encouraged me to write one at the very least about a typical week that I have at work and in life, as this might be interesting to friends and family.

So, here we go:

Monday: Wake up at 6:15 am, get ready and leave the house at 7:15 am to walk to Sol, where I take the 7:31 am (usually) train to go to work. The ride is about 20 minutes and then about a 15 minute walk to the school. I have 2 classes on Mondays, my 3rd of ESO (freshmen). Recently I have been pulling out pairs of students to practice speaking portions of the Cambridge First Certificate exam. I take notes about grammar and pronunciation mistakes to go over later. I only work until 10:15 on Mondays, so I walk back to the train station and trek back to the center.

I usually teach my online job, VIPKID, on Mondays from about 12-3. I recently started this job teaching English to kids online in China. It's a great job and a way to make some saveable income, and I really enjoy it. After I teach I usually go quickly to the gym and shower, and then I head to the metro to go to my private class with Gonzalo, a 12 year old boy who lives about 30 minutes away. His mom wants him to have speaking practice, so we usually play games that involve speaking. I usually head home, make dinner, and relax or lesson plan, depending on the week.

Tuesday: Wake up again at 6:15, same routine to get there by 8:15. This day I have a few more classes. I start with a vocational class of students who are learning to be secretaries. Some of them are older than me, and their level of English is quite low, so we usually do basic activities or I teach them something about the United States. This week is a presentation about US Healthcare. Then I go to 2nd Bachillerato (Seniors). Sometimes I pull them out to practice speaking, sometimes I assist in class, last week I talked to them about Trump's first week. Their level of English is extremely high so it's enjoyable to be able to do a lot with them. Then I have 3rd ESO like Mondays. Then there is a short break where I usually hang out with other English teachers and assistants in the English department. After break is 3rd ESO again, followed by 1st of Bachillerato (juniors). One day a week with them I pull them out to practice for the Advanced Cambridge Exam, the other day we do a speaking activity as a full class. Paul (the main teacher) usually gives me free reign. Then I walk back to the train, go home, and eat lunch. Sometimes I teach just 1 VIPKID class, then relax/go to the gym. Then at 5:10 I walk or take the metro to see Carmen and Maria, for their private class. We usually just do a little bit of homework and play! I leave there at 7:30 and am home by 8 to make dinner, lesson plan, and relax.

Wednesday: Wake up hella early again, almost can't wake up as it's the 3rd day of me doing this. Go to school, start my day with 3rd ESO, then a break, then other 3rd ESO, then recreo. I just started doing a language exchange with a teacher, so Wednesdays, we practice Spanish in the teacher's room. After break is 1st of Bach, we do a full class activity. Usually debates get really heated and it's awesome! After that is another 3rd ESO class, where I usually assist with the book work. Their level of english is lower so it's harder to do activities. Finally, another short break and then I have art with 4th of ESO (sophomores). I usually just ask them about their art! Then is home, relax, lunch, gym, and then at 5:30 I leave to go to Cuatro Caminos for my classes with Candela and Andrea, leave there at 8 after an hour with each of them, and eat dinner and pass out.

Thursday: I get to sleep in!!! Until 8:15!! It feels amazing. Go to work at 9:15, start my day with 2nd of Bach. Then break, where I practice English with the same teacher. After break is 3rd of ESO, then other 3rd ESO, then Ampliacion, which is like extra english practice for 2nd bach. Usually we do some sort of involved speaking activity that Ana Belen has me plan. Then I go home, and usually relax a lot!! Sometimes I'll get drinks with friends since It's my weekend, but usually I'm too tired.

Friday: Wake up whenever, work out, then I usually teach online 11-3ish. I usually relax a lot, and see friends, we might get drinks, or go out, depending on the week.

Saturday: same deal as Friday, teach, gym, relax.

Sunday: Making sure I have everything ready for the week, sometimes laundry and grocery shopping. Then do it all over again!!

This is just an average of what I do, sometimes I have other errands to run, if the weather is nice, my friends and I like to go to the park on the weekends. I plan to travel more Thursday-Sunday this semester, which should be a blast! The next trip is to Cadiz, in the south of Spain, for carnaval in February!

Besos,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment