Hi guys!
Just thought i'd do this BEFORE I actually board the plane to Johannesburg...
It hasn't really hit me yet that i'm actually traveling to Africa in just a few days- a continent I have never had the privilege of visiting until now. It still hasn't hit me that i'm actually going- it's always seemed so far in the future, and now it's almost here!
To clear something up: the first question I get when I tell people i'm going to South Africa is "WHY?" I know that going to Hendrix makes it typical to hear about people's Odyssey trips in which they are doing something groundbreaking and life changing, and this actually isn't that. My family is simply taking a vacation to South Africa. Instead of my brother and I receiving brand new cars at age 16, or getting anything we want from our parents, they instead decide to use the money that they earn towards life experiences such as taking us on amazing trips! I am so grateful and lucky to be able to do this!
(oh and in the next few years, there will be something on this blog about some cool Odyssey project i'm doing, I just haven't gotten to it yet :) )
This blog is actually kind of a toss up, because there is no guarantee i'll have Internet access, although it's not like we're staying in tents or anything, so I think it's likely that there will be at the various places we are staying.
On Friday, June 7, my grandpa is taking us to the Marta station (Atlanta's train system) from where we will go to the airport! We then have to take a shuttle to the international terminal, a new addition to Hartsfield-Jackson. I'm excited to see it! That evening, we board the DIRECT flight to Johannesburg- about 14 hours. I am absolutely praying that there will be those cool screens in which you can choose movies to watch and stuff, no way is my iPhone going to last that long! Hopefully i'll be able to sleep since it's an overnight flight, but i'm also prepping with books and such.
I'll write as soon as I can after we arrive! After spending one night in Johannesburg, we are taking another plane to Cape Town where we will spend the following few days.
This is making me more excited, hope you all enjoy reading about my travels! Hopefully i'll be able to post some pics along the way too! :)
Anna
No comments:
Post a Comment