Friday, June 14, 2013

The sad truth

On our long day of traveling to Cape Town today I've been reflecting a lot about South Africa and how it makes me think about and appreciate the life that I have. For example, we just drove past a community of houses that are literally just four sheet metal walls and a roof that is literally less square feet than my room. A lot of these communities don't have any electricity in their houses, nonetheless street lamps to help keep them safe at night. Beauty's community just got street lamps recently and she seemed happy that these were put into place. I couldn't believe how many minutes we were driving continuously seeing these houses, only feet apart, when we came to a slope and could see how far back from the road they were too. I would say at least a mile, curving around a mountain as well. That was on our right, while on the left was the beautiful coast. 

I could never imagine living in a house like that and it makes me so thankful for what I have. I think everyone should come to a place like this at least once in their lifetime to help them gain perspective on themselves and the world. South Africa isn't even third world but second, so I'm sure there are worse situations in many places in the world. 

There are also so many people walking around without shoes on. Being familiar with the TOMS idea and their motives, i know you can get many diseases just through not having shoes. It's something that we take for granted each and every day and even most of us own multiple pairs. 

Can't wait to see what Cape Town holds for us, we've just arrived! Attached is a picture of our view from our hotel. 
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment